Game Developer - Electronic Role-Playing Game (eRPG) Software Developer [Opensource] [Volunteer]
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone wishing to get some real-world experience with video game development at an entry level.
100% Remote position.
More information about this project here:
About the Game Developer Role
We are looking for a Volunteer ERPG/BCIRPG Developer to bring their programming and game design skills to our eRPG project. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with other designers, programmers, and producers, and take ownership in the coding process from initial concept to final product. If you’re a developer looking for a role that offers creative challenges and experience with accessible gaming, we want to hear from you.
**This is an unpaid volunteer position.
Design, develop, test, and deliver software and systems to solve technical problems and add new capabilities to the products you work on.
Debug and fix issues and defects in software systems.
Work with your team to improve processes, design and quality of software components.
Write and implement efficient code.
Test and evaluate new programs.
Determine operational practicality.
Develop quality assurance procedures.
Innovate with high accuracy across multiple iterations, addressing feedback, incorporating notes, and executing revisions as needed in accordance with project goals.
Provide peer review for other teammates.
Experience with C/C++, Visual Studio Code, or (especially) Godot.
Experience with Git.
Game design or computer science experience (college or high school classes will be considered).
Solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and problem solving
Experience or ability to script dialogue for numerous characters.
Experience or knowledge of structuring and tracking branching storylines.
General knowledge of game design pipelines.
Ability to efficiently juggle multiple responsibilities without compromising quality.
Ability to self-motivate in a creative environment without tight supervision.
Outstanding written and interpersonal communication skills.
NICE TO HAVE
Experience with Unified Modeling Language (UML)
Experience with client servers.
Familiarity with Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
Knowledge of accessibility within gaming.
Familiarity with BCI (Brain Computer Interface).
Experience with any tabletop RPG.
About RPG Research
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone wishing to get some real-world experience with role-playing video game development, working with a dynamic team of developers at all levels.
We are building an opensource, completely brain-computer interface (BCI) controlled online, multiplayer, electronic role-playing game (ERPG).
100% remote work, though need to be able to work with our PST8PDT-centric timezone since our HQ is based in Washington State.
College credit may be available, depending on your institution, on a case-by-case basis.
You will want to also complete the application on our website for the next step in this process: https://www.rpgresearch.com/jobs/detail/erpg-developer-electronic-role-playing-game-erpg-software-developer-1-volunteer-208
Game Design Overview
These games are focused on cooperative multi-play problem solving, character development, and story, rather than graphics or fast-paced action.
The game support both solo and multiplayer play.
Play is turn-based not real-time.
They are designed to achieve specific measurable goals for the players.
The game is designed to also function with optional Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) and other accessibility equipment.
This project is 100% opensource.
The ERPG Software Developer will follow these guidelines
- Business Scope document
- Technical Scope document
- Technical Specifications document
- UML design specifications document
- Narrative design document
- Branching narrative document
- Game diagrams
- Coding standards documents
We are using the following technologies:
- Twinery 2
- Visual Studio Code
- NWN: EE Aurora Toolset (training for beginners)
- Draw.io / Diagramming.net
- Many other related technologies
Releases will function on:
- RELIABLE, STRONG WORK ETHIC
- Strong and consistent communicator
- Strong typing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written grammar skills.
- Detail oriented and committed to meeting self-set deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and manage multiple deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast paced work environment.
- Strong English speaking and written skills a must
- Attend weekly check-in / standup / training & administrative meeting (2-3 hours).
- Contribute to the code base, documentation, & QA (expect minimum of 3 hours per week commitment, more of course is welcomed).
- Update in-code commenting.
- Regularly update documentation (just in-code commenting not sufficient!).
- Testing, QA, debugging, patching.
- Manage Github issue requests.
- Due to the extensive training needed, we ask for a minimum 1 year commitment from all our volunteers.
- 100% remote
- Flexible schedule options available
- Hands-on training
- Possible college credit depending on your institutions requirements (handled on a case-by-case basis).
- You will get hands-on training and real-world professional experience working with international staff and community, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERPG) software, and more.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
Pay: $0.00 per year
How many years of Android developer experience do you have?
How many years of branching logic development experience do you have?
How many years of C experience do you have?
How many years of C++ experience do you have?
How many years of debugging experience do you have?
How many years of game design experience do you have?
How many years of git experience do you have?
How much experience do you have playing Neverwinter Nights?
How much experience do you have with the NWN DM Client?
How much experience do you have with NWN development using the NWN Aurora Toolset?
How many years of interactive fiction development experience do you have?
How much experience do you have using Github?
How much experience do you have developing for Android platforms?
How many years of iOS experience do you have?
How many years of Linux user experience do you have?
How many years of Mac user experience do you have?
How many years of software Quality Assurance (QA) experience do you have?
How many years of ssh experience do you have?
How many years of Twine experience do you have?
How much experience do you have with GoDot development?
How many years of video game design experience do you have?
How many years of video game development experience do you have?
How many years of Windows user experience do you have?
Do you speak English?
Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations?
Why are you interested in this job?
When are you available for an interview or phone screen? Please list 2-3 dates and times or ranges of times.
Who referred you to this role? (if you don't have an answer, you can leave this field blank)