eRPG Developer - Electronic Role-Playing Game (eRPG) Software Developer 1 [Volunteer]
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone wishing to get some real-world experience with video game development at an entry level.
100% Remote position.
More information about this project here:
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone wishing to get some real-world experience with role-playing video game development, working with a dynamic team of developers at all levels.
We are building an opensource, completely brain-computer interface (BCI) controlled online, multiplayer, electronic role-playing game (ERPG).
100% remote work, though need to be able to work with our PST8PDT-centric timezone since our HQ is based in Washington State.
College credit may be available, depending on your institution, on a case-by-case basis.
You will want to also complete the application on our website for the next step in this process: https://www.rpgresearch.com/jobs/detail/erpg-developer-electronic-role-playing-game-erpg-software-developer-1-volunteer-208
Game Design Overview
These games are focused on cooperative multi-play problem solving, character development, and story, rather than graphics or fast-paced action.
The game support both solo and multiplayer play.
Play is turn-based not real-time.
They are designed to achieve specific measurable goals for the players.
The game is designed to also function with optional Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) and other accessibility equipment.
This project is 100% opensource.
RPG Research is a 501(c)3 non-profit research and human services charitable organization. We have over 130 volunteer staff members across 6 continents regularly working together each week on research, training, and community projects. We provide research and community programs around the world. We are studying the effects of music and role-playing games, and their potential to improve quality of life for people around the world. http://www.rpgresearch.com
- RPG Research has been involved with role-playing games since the 1970s and researching their effects since 1983. We have also helped run programs in schools since 1985, and in therapeutic settings since 2004, and incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit in 2017.
- We have been offering the world's most comprehensive repository of research information on role-playing games, freely and openly, online since 2004.
Volunteers are highly valued members of the RPG Research community (which is 100% volunteer run) and contribute to making a significant difference in RPG Research's ability to research and provide community programs for the public to help improve lives. RPG Research will provide reference letters for all volunteers who successfully complete a placement.
The ERPG Software Developer will follow guidelines of our:
- Business Scope document
- Technical Scope document
- Technical Specifications document
- UML design specifications document
- Narrative design document
- Branching narrative document
- Game diagrams
- Coding standards documents
We are using the following technologies:
- Twinery 2
- Visual Studio Code
- NWN: EE Aurora Toolset (training for beginners)
- Draw.io / Diagramming.net
- Many other related technologies
Releases will function on:
- RELIABLE, STRONG WORK ETHIC
- Strong and consistent communicator
- Strong typing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written grammar skills.
- Libre Office, Microsoft Office, or equivalent, proficiency and data entry accuracy skills
- At least 1 year programming experience (any language, but prefer C/C++ and/or GDScript).
- At least 1 year github experience
- High energy and excellent communication skills are a MUST
- Detail oriented and committed to meeting deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and manage multiple deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast paced work environment.
- Strong English speaking and written skills a must
- Attend weekly training & administrative meeting (2-3 hours).
- Contribute to the code base, documentation, & QA (expect minimum of 3 hours per week commitment, more of course is welcomed).
- Update in-code commenting.
- Regularly update documentation (just in-code commenting not sufficient!).
- Testing, QA, debugging, patching.
- Manage Github issue requests.
- Due to the extensive training needed, we ask for a minimum 1 year commitment from all our volunteers.
- 100% remote
- Flexible schedule options available
- Hands-on training
- Possible college credit depending on your institutions requirements (handled on a case-by-case basis).
- You will get hands-on training and real-world professional experience working with international staff and community, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERPG) software, and more.
We have a current project underway that is running in multiple phases. Phase 1 began August 2019 and completed August 2020. We are now in Phase 2 of development.
We will all codebase through opensource platform to the general public, with full attribution to all contributors.
THIS IS A 100% VOLUNTEER UNPAID POSITION but includes free training.
Requires at least some functional programming background in C++ at a minimum.
The ERPG Developer will report to our current Video Game Development Director, Project Manager, and Senior Developer.
RPG Research is a 501(c)3 non-profit research and human services organization studying the effects of all role-playing game formats and their potential to improve lives.
Total hours: 3-7 per week.
Due to the extensive training needed, we ask for a minimum 1 year commitment from all our volunteers.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
Pay: $0.00 per year
How many years of Android developer experience do you have?
How many years of branching logic development experience do you have?
How many years of C experience do you have?
How many years of C++ experience do you have?
How many years of debugging experience do you have?
How many years of game design experience do you have?
How many years of git experience do you have?
How much experience do you have playing Neverwinter Nights?
How much experience do you have with the NWN DM Client?
How much experience do you have with NWN development using the NWN Aurora Toolset?
How many years of interactive fiction development experience do you have?
How much experience do you have using Github?
How much experience do you have developing for Android platforms?
How many years of iOS experience do you have?
How many years of Linux user experience do you have?
How many years of Mac user experience do you have?
How many years of software Quality Assurance (QA) experience do you have?
How many years of ssh experience do you have?
How many years of Twine experience do you have?
How much experience do you have with GoDot development?
How many years of video game design experience do you have?
How many years of video game development experience do you have?
How many years of Windows user experience do you have?
Do you speak English?
Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations?
Why are you interested in this job?
When are you available for an interview or phone screen? Please list 2-3 dates and times or ranges of times.
Who referred you to this role? (if you don't have an answer, you can leave this field blank)