You are here: Home / Community Discussion / Forum / RPG for Education / New after-school T-RPG program in Nashville TN

New after-school T-RPG program in Nashville TN

by Josh Unruh last modified Dec 31, 2016 02:10 AM
Up to RPG for Education

New after-school T-RPG program in Nashville TN

Posted by Josh Unruh at October 11. 2016

Hello there!

Firstly, I wanted to thank Mr. Hawke Robinson on all of the great work put in on this project.  I can see that it has been a life-long passion, and I for one, completely support, and share in your vision for using T-RPGs for educational and therapeutic benefits.

To introduce myself, my name is Josh Unruh, a 32 year old game-master living in Nashville Tennessee.  I've been playing T-RPGs for two decades, and have dreamed of building a community in my area to share these awesome games with local youth (specifically at risk youth, though all would be welcome).  I, as well as many of my gaming colleagues have first hand experience at the power of cooperative storytelling games.  We know there is truth behind the research you've gathered here because we've all felt the profound impact of gaming in our own lives.

Myself and several other local game masters have begun the process of forming an organization with the title "The Heroes' Guild", with the intention of running after-school programs for local children.  While we are just in the infantile stages, I felt it pertinent to reach out and offer whatever we can to your research and to your community.  I have spent a fair bit of time pouring over your research documents on your site, and frankly, am using much of the information presented here in my "pitch" to help legitimize our claims of the power of these games.  We hope to return the favor in whatever way we can.

We have established a website, and forum, and have begun the process of collecting materials to provide everything needed for these kids to tell infinite adventures.  We hope to start on a crowd-funding site soon to collect funds for supplies in the coming weeks.  We are also in the talks with local community centers and YMCA's about hosting the events.

Our ultimate goal for the program is to provide all of the necessary tools to open these kids up to the multitude of benefits provided by T-RPGs, to break down socioeconomic boundaries, to put down our screens, and to come together around tables, forming communities under the white flag of adventure; not to mention "tricking" kids into learning through fun activities.  The longer-term goal is to organize periodic community outreach events, to encourage children to be heroes not only at the table, but within their communities as well.

The world is becoming a strange and dark place of recent.  Fear is taking hold, and driving folks apart. We intend to bring people together, to provide role-models for young people, and to fight back the darkness with our favorite past-time.  I believe Samwise Gamgee said it best.

"But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you.
That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t.
Because they were holding on to something... That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for."

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to sharing in whatever capacity we can, to make this world a better place.  Cheers!

Re: New after-school T-RPG program in Nashville TN

Posted by Hawke Robinson at December 31. 2016

Thank you so much for your posting!

Sorry it took me so long to follow up. We discussed your posting in our latest RPG Research Podcasts. And will be discussing this topic more. Please do keep us updated on your progress!